Hey Bolder Sisters,
One thing I’m noticing about myself lately is that my shyness is becoming less and less frequent. Over the past few weeks I’ve had to present new concepts to large groups and the shyness and fear I usually experience wasn’t as evident this time.
What’s worked for me is putting myself in more situations that stretch me outside of my comfort zone. I told you ladies before how I run toward those things that make me nervous instead of running away from them. Sisters, I challenge you to do the same. It’s freeing, fun and yup bold!
In order to overcome fear and shyness you have to do things that stretch the boundaries of what you’re afraid of. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. If you make a mistake, you learn from it and keep it moving. That’s what mistakes are for, to teach a lesson. Whenever I do fail, I always look for things in my life that are still in tact. Like, I may have failed in this, but I’m in good health or my children are still healthy. This reminds me that what I was worried about really isn’t all that serious.
- Imagine yourself succeeding. Yes, really! Actually sit, close your eyes and picture yourself doing well in whatever it is you’re afraid of most. Think about the setting, the people that are there and see yourself doing your thang.
- Change your self-talk. Tell yourself what’s possible. Replace those negative thoughts and language with positive affirmations. For example, use “I can” and “I will.”
- Surround yourself with support. In some cases it might be other folks in your life holding you back. Unfortunately, as you grow not everyone will be able to move forward with you. It’s important that your circle reflects who you’re becoming. It should include people who support, encourage and motivate you to succeed. Join up with like-minded professionals in meetup groups or networking/business groups on Facebook. Find people with similar goals.
- Select an accountability partner who isn’t afraid to push you. This was a big one for me because once I tell people my plan I have to find a way to make it happen. I found a mentor. But find someone in your life you trust to remind you of what you said. It really works.
Bolder Sisters, it is 2017 and it’s our year to make life happen and do all those things we’ve been too afraid to do. We are saying R.I.P. to fear and shyness for good!