I was working with an advertising agency when I finally discovered my passion, and advertising wasn’t it. I had been working for over 10 years before I decided this isn’t what I really want to do. But sometimes we can be stubborn and have to be pushed in the direction of our dreams. I probably would have stayed in the advertising job if it wasn’t for the lay off.
That layoff was the best thing that happened to me. Although, I cried when I was let go, it forced me to do things I had only been talking about doing. I’m now pursuing my passion of writing, training and coaching.
If you are feeling stuck and not quite sure what your passion is, here are a few suggestions:
- Think about the skills you already possess and determine which ones you enjoy using the most. Is it working with people? Is it working independently? Do you enjoy using your hands? Do you like creating? Do you get a thrill out of organizing things? Do you love working with numbers? Does working with children inspire you? Spend some time really thinking about what you enjoy and why? Your why is your passion.
- Write it down. Every skill you recognized in the first suggestion, write it down. Don’t limit yourself here, everything you thought about should be written down. Don’t allow negative thinking to creep into this process. Don’t worry about the how right now, just write down every thought that comes up.
- Prioritize your list. Out of everything you’ve written, rank them in order of significance to you. This one might be challenging because you do really enjoy using each of the skills you have listed, but do your best and narrow it down. Which gets you the most excited?
- Now it’s time to think about the careers that require that particular skill. Now don’t be surprised if you come to the realization that your passion is only going to come through starting your own business. That’s something you need to know and might make you even more excited than before. Next to every skill you’ve listed write the career or job title that matches it.
- Last, it’s time to start investing in your passion. This will include researching different careers or entrepreneurship. You may have to go back to school or take a couple of classes. You may have to set up a few coffee dates with professionals in your field of interest to learn more. Be prepared, because this is when your passion will begin to manifest. If it is truly your passion, believe me none of this will feel like work.
Bolder Sisters, your passion is waiting on you to unlock it. Do the soul searching required and get busy pursuing. Good luck! As always I can’t wait to hear what you discover. Please share in the comment section below.